Example plays for Conquest can be found on this page. The sheer number of combinations of Orders, and the unpredictable influence of Magic, means that we couldn't possibly cover everything that may occur, but hopefully the examples found there will shed some light on how some interactions will work.
This page will go into detail on exact interactions. Reading the content of this page may be helpful for Generals, but not required reading.
If you believe an example for how a situation would play out would be beneficial, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request it and we will consider adding it to this page.
Consider the scenario where there are two Realms - Aelaria in blue, Scoraxia in red - with neighbouring territories of Woodpig and Aelaris owned by Aelaria and of Deepvale owned by Scoraxia, shown in this diagram:
There are a number of options available to the Scoraxian General (RED) to give to the Force in Deepvale. Assuming for now that the Force in Aelaris receives no orders, the following would be successful for the Scoraxian player:
- FORTIFY- this would increase the Strength of Deepvale by 1 (to 2)
- MOVE TO WOODPIG - the Force would move to Woodpig (Str 0) but not claim it for Scoraxia
- INVADE WOODPIG - the Force would move to Woodpig (Str 0) and claim it for Scoraxia
- ATTACK AELARIS - this would decrease the Strength of Aelaris by 1 (to 0)
The following would be valid orders but unsuccessful:
- MOVE TO AELARIS - Aelaris has Strength 1, therefore the Force cannot move into it
- INVADE AELARIS - as with moving, Aelaris has Strength 1, therefore the Force cannot move into it
Now, if the Aelarian General (BLUE) gave a MOVE TO WOODPIG Order to their Force, the orders above would play out differently:
The following Orders are successful for Scoraxia:
- FORTIFY - still functions as before, increases the Strength of Deepvale by 1 (to 2)
- ATTACK AELARIS - still functions as before, decreases the Strength of Aelaris by 1 (to 0)
The following Orders now fail:
- MOVE TO WOODPIG - fails because there are an equal number of Forces attempting to move into the same Territory. Both the Aelarian and Scoraxian Forces do not move
- INVADE WOODPIG - fails because there are an equal number of Forces attempting to move into the same Territory. Both the Aelarian and Scoraxian Forces do not move
- MOVE TO AELARIS - fails because Aelaris has Strength 1, therefore the Force cannot move into it
- INVADE AELARIS - fails because Aelaris has Strength 1, therefore the Force cannot move into it
Not what you were expecting? Remember that Strength is calculated before movement is evaluated, so even though the Aelarian Force is moving to a new Territory, the Territory it is moving from still gains the Strength bonus from the Force being present.
How might the Scoraxian player successfully invade a Territory with a Force in then? Use of Magic to reduce the Strength, or assistance from another Force with the ATTACK order. Therefore things change if Scoraxia has two Forces in neighbouring Territories:
The Scoraxian General can now deliver orders to both of the Forces. In order to successfully Invade Aelaris, the Scoraxian general needs to submit the following orders:
- To the Force in Deepvale:
- ATTACK Aelaris
- To the Force in Darkwood:
- INVADE Aelaris
The ATTACK Order will reduce the Strength of Aelaris by 1 (to 0) and the INVADE Order will therefore be successful and the Territory would be claimed. The Force would not necessarily have to Invade and could use the Move To Order instead. If the Aelarian Force does not move, it would be destroyed by Scoraxian Force moving into the Territory.
This would be unsuccessful if the Aelarian Force took the FORTIFY order (since the Strength would not be reduced to 0 by the attack). Either Magic or the additional efforts of a third Force would be required to take the Territory in that case.